From fall to winter there is a drop in humidity in the air, as a result our skin gets dry and itchy and, your guitar reacts a bit the same way.
Though a guitar is not a tree anymore, it is a “living piece”. It reacts and acclimates to the surrounding environment. Each winter season we repair a many guitar due to the lack of humidity. Acoustic guitar wood needs moisture to play and look its best. A dry guitar can warp, shrink and worse yet, crack!
What are the symptoms of a guitar that lacks the proper amount of humidity?
– Cracked bridges
– Sinking tops
– Shrinking or cracked fret boards
– Front end pop
– Splits in tops
The lack of the proper amount of humidity mainly happens in acoustic instruments but the electrics sometimes need love too.
Here are a few of the most asked questions regarding humidity.
Q. What is the best humidity level?
A. 40%-50% is ideal, but that can go a little higher
Q. Can I keep my guitar out of its case and on display?
A. Yes, but it is always at risk.
Some solutions to get the proper humidity in check…
Monitor the humidity.
1. (Humidity & Temperature Monitor) Monitor the humidity with a humidity & temperature monitor. Perfect for Acoustic Guitars, Electric Guitars, Mandolins, Ukuleles, and Orchestral Strings. Monitoring your instrument’s environment is critical to ensure it stays within the manufacturers warranty and to protect your prized instrument from drying, warping, shrinking or cracking. CLICK HERE TO BUY
– (Soundhole Humidifier) You could purchase a MusicNomad Acoustic Guitar Soundhole Humidifier. MusicNomad, the leader in equipment care products, has developed an easy to use, no mess, and low maintenance guitar humidifier. The Humitar safely releases moisture evenly to eliminate these potential problems. CLICK HERE TO BUY
– (Instrument Case Humidifier) You could purchase a MusicNomad Humitar. It safely releases moisture evenly to eliminate these potential problems. Works great for Acoustic Guitars, Electric Guitars, Semi Hollow Guitars, Mandolins, Cellos and other large case instruments. Our innovative Humid-i-Bar sponge holds a lot more water than our competition. This means less monitoring on your end while resting assured your fine instrument is being cared for. CLICK HERE TO BUY
– (Room/whole house humidifier) Devices that emit water vapor or steam to increase moisture levels in the air.
There are several types:
Central humidifiers are built into home heating and air conditioning systems and are designed to humidify the whole house.
Ultrasonic humidifiers produce a cool mist with ultrasonic vibration.
Impeller humidifiers produce a cool mist with a rotating disk.
Evaporators use a fan to blow air through a wet wick, filter or belt.
Steam vaporizers use electricity to create steam that cools before leaving the machine. Avoid this type of humidifier if you have children; hot water inside this type of humidifier may cause burns if spilled.
Don’t wait until it’s too late. Repairs are expensive. Like “muscle memory”, once an instrument has dried out it’s more likey to return to that dried out condition. So keep your guitar humidified to prevent excessive drying.